Click the link for a PDF of the 18-19 schedule.
This schedule was updated 8/15/18 to reflect the following changes:
- Daviess County HS and Rowan County HS tournaments cancelled.
- Beechwood HS tournament moved to 11/10.
- Wyatt Debate League tournament dates added.
SPEAK 6 is happening September 22. This conference will be for new speech and debate teachers and coaches (tentatively called NewSPEAK) and will be taught by representatives of each of the five Kentucky speech and debate leagues. Registration fees for the day = only $20, and attendees will receive 6 hours of PD credit. Register at www.kyspeak.org by September 17 if attending. A tentative schedule of the day’s workshops is also posted there. Spread the word! We can’t wait to SPEAK with our rookie coaches and teachers!
SPEAK is the Speech Professional Education Alliance of Kentucky, a collaborative educational conference put on most years to benefit middle and high school speech and debate teachers and coaches in the Commonwealth by the five Kentucky speech and debate leagues: the Kentucky Catholic Forensic League, the Kentucky District of the National Speech and Debate Association, the Kentucky Educational Speech and Drama Association, the Kentucky High School Speech League, and the Wilson Wyatt Debate League.
Your school may now register for the Kentucky High School Speech League for 2018-2019 at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/FGyr3DNiCWbDb6Nq2 .
Registration and fees MUST be paid and turned in by October 1 for initial pricing; late fees kick in after that date. Costs and the mailing address are on the online form at the link.
Greetings everyone. Just a few updates for you as classes begin around the Commonwealth.
- The KHSSL membership form will be published on the KHSSL website in the next few days. An update will be sent out when it’s ready to roll so you may rejoin this year (or join for the first time!).
- SPEAK, the biannual professional development conference for Kentucky speech and debate educators, will be September 22 in the University of Kentucky Student Center. It will be for new or almost new coaches of speech and debate only this time with plans to make 2019 a fully comprehensive conference for everyone. More details on SPEAK will come in the next few days.
- The Kentucky tournament schedule has been updated on the KHSSL website. Click the link for a PDF of the 18-19 schedule. Wyatt Debate League tournaments will be added when those are set.
This schedule was updated 8/9/18 to reflect the following changes:
- Harrison Co. MS (11/10) and Montgomery Co. HS (12/15) tournaments cancelled.
- UK Season Opener added 9/8-10. This is a high school tournament open to all high school speech and debate teams (different from the bid-requiring TOCs in May).
- Dixie Heights HS tournament moved to 12/15 from its 11/10 date.
- Kentucky NSDA tournament site moved to WKU (space conflict with GSA auditions at Centre).
As far as I know, these are all the tournaments happening in the Commonwealth at the middle and high school levels from September to March. Please let me know of any changes or additions you may have to this schedule ASAP. There are many good opportunities for new tournaments to be added into the schedule as it stands — several weekends with only one tournament in one corner of the state, for example. The Board will be glad to provide assistance to programs who wish to host a contest. Just be in touch.
— Steve Meadows, Danville HS, KHSSL Board Chair
Note: This is the second of three summer posts. Registration information for KHSSL will be posted on the KHSSL website in August. These three posts will be it from KHSSL until August. Have a great summer!
Update 2: Logo Contest!!
KHSSL announces a logo contest! The League needs a new logo. We are offering $100 as a prize with a deadline of September 1. Please spread the word to talented student artists as well as any adults you know who are strong graphic artists, etc. The logo should include the letters KHSSL somewhere in the logo, but other than that the possibilities are endless. Please note that a winning logo may not be chosen, but if one is adopted, it becomes the property of KHSSL after the $100 prize has been paid. Please send logos as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 1.
Note: This is the first of three summer posts. Registration information for KHSSL will be posted on the KHSSL website in August. The next two posts will be it from KHSSL until August. Have a great summer!
Update 1: Board Meeting Info
The KHSSL Board of Directors met on Saturday, June 30, in Lexington for the annual meeting required in our bylaws. A few notes of interest for KHSSL Member Schools are listed below.
*New Board members and officers were recognized/elected.
*Minutes from the April 2018 and June 2017 meetings were approved. A summary of the June 2018 meeting was also published online (will become official minutes when approved at the 9-22-18 board meeting). See the Board Minutes page.
*The 2018-2019 Tournament Calendar was approved. Wyatt Debate League tournaments will be added once that schedule is set. Changes/additions can be made by contacting the KHSSL Board.
*KHSSL will again be co-sponsoring the bi-annual SPEAK Conference for speech and debate educators and coaches (with Kentucky NSDA, KESDA, KY CFL, and Wyatt Debate League). The conference, SPEAK VI: The Return of SPEAK, will be held September 22 at the University of Kentucky. Stay tuned to http://www.kyspeak.org for updates as the conference is organized.