Over the summer of 2016, League members were surveyed on the following questions; the vote is noted below.
Question 1: Regional and State Tournaments
- Senior Division only coaches: Yes 26, No 5
- Both Division coaches: Yes 3, No 0
- Junior Division coaches: Yes 14, No 6
- The Prequalification system would be eliminated, as would, therefore, exemptions.
- Each member school would be able to enter up to three contestants in each event at the Regional Tournament
- The students entered at Regionals would be up to coach discretion
- A school must participate in Regionals in order for the School to qualify for the State Speech Tournament
- Individual students do not need to compete at Regionals in order to compete at State.
- The League and Regional Managers would promote the Regional Tournament’s presence and importance
- Each school has three entries in each event at the State Speech Tournament
- No student may enter more than three events at the State Speech Tournament
- All bona fide team members are eligible to compete at State
- A bona fide team member is one who has (a) competed at the Regional tournament and/or (b) competed at two other tournaments during the current school year.
- Schools would submit a roster of eligible students to the director
- Coaches would register individual students for State roughly two weeks before state, but could substitute in other students, provided they are on the roster of bona fide team members.
Question 2: Senior State Speech Quarterfinals
Senior Coaches–Yes 33, No 2
The Board is considering changing the State Speech Tournament’s elimination round structure. Under the proposal, events with 48 or more entries would break to a Quarterfinal Round—4 sections of 6.
- All events would then have a Semifinal Round (2 sections of 6), and a final round of 6.
- Students from the same school would not be sectioned against each other in the Quarterfinal round only. Semifinal sectioning is described below.
- The quarterfinal round would be sectioned by a pure snake-pairing, then adjusted for any same-school pairing that occurred (as we’ve been doing). Three competitors would advance out of each quarterfinal round into the Semifinal round.
- Advancing competitors in Quarterfinal Section A would be paired with those from Quarterfinal Section D in Semifinal Section A. Advancing competitors in Quarterfinal Section B would be paired with those from Quarterfinal Section C in Semifinal Section B. (Quarterfinal A would contain the 1st place student out of prelims, B the 2nd place out of prelims, C the 3rd place, and D the 4th place).