Greetings everyone. Just a few updates for you as classes begin around the Commonwealth.
- The KHSSL membership form will be published on the KHSSL website in the next few days. An update will be sent out when it’s ready to roll so you may rejoin this year (or join for the first time!).
- SPEAK, the biannual professional development conference for Kentucky speech and debate educators, will be September 22 in the University of Kentucky Student Center. It will be for new or almost new coaches of speech and debate only this time with plans to make 2019 a fully comprehensive conference for everyone. More details on SPEAK will come in the next few days.
- The Kentucky tournament schedule has been updated on the KHSSL website. Click the link for a PDF of the 18-19 schedule. Wyatt Debate League tournaments will be added when those are set.
This schedule was updated 8/9/18 to reflect the following changes:
- Harrison Co. MS (11/10) and Montgomery Co. HS (12/15) tournaments cancelled.
- UK Season Opener added 9/8-10. This is a high school tournament open to all high school speech and debate teams (different from the bid-requiring TOCs in May).
- Dixie Heights HS tournament moved to 12/15 from its 11/10 date.
- Kentucky NSDA tournament site moved to WKU (space conflict with GSA auditions at Centre).
As far as I know, these are all the tournaments happening in the Commonwealth at the middle and high school levels from September to March. Please let me know of any changes or additions you may have to this schedule ASAP. There are many good opportunities for new tournaments to be added into the schedule as it stands — several weekends with only one tournament in one corner of the state, for example. The Board will be glad to provide assistance to programs who wish to host a contest. Just be in touch.
— Steve Meadows, Danville HS, KHSSL Board Chair