I’d like to highlight the key Handbook changes coming for 2014-2015. The Handbook itself should be revised by the start of the school year.
Registration fees for schools have been increased to the amounts listed below. These fees are locked in for three full years (through 2016-2017). The proceeds will support the director’s work with teams around the Commonwealth, judge training, enabling our application for 501(c)(3) status, and hospitality at the State tournament.
The Early Registration deadline is 1 October–forms and payment must be postmarked on or before that date. No Combined Registration is possible after 1 October.
- Senior–Early Registration for Speech OR Debate, OR Drama–$100.
- Senior–Early Registration for Combined (Two or three of the above)–$150
- Junior–Early Registration for Speech–$100
- Senior–Late Registration for Speech OR Debate OR Drama–$115
- Junior–Late Registration for Speech–$115
We’ve added Program Oral Interpretation as a Senior Division Event. The new Handbook will include the full rules, but they will largely track the sample rules published here last year.
Junior Impromptu is now a 7 minute event, with a minimum of 3 minutes’ speaking time.
Grace Periods in several events were added/changed:
- Broadcast Announcing: The Round II grace period is 15 seconds over/under.
- Broadcast Announcing: Semifinal/Final Rounds now each have a 15 second grace period.
- Extemporaneous Speaking: Added a 30 second grace period; automatic disqualification for going overtime is removed; no speech violating the grace period may receive the ‘1’ in the round.
- Impromptu Speaking: Added a 15 second grace period; automatic disqualification for going overtime is removed; no speech violating the grace period may receive the ‘1’ in the round.
- Improvisational Duo: Added a 15 second grace period; automatic disqualification for going overtime is removed; no speech violating the grace period may receive the ‘1’ in the round.
The performance rules for Senior Humorous, Dramatic, and Duo Interpretation will now track those of the NSDA; the diameter for performance is now 10 feet. The source rules remain unchanged from previous rules.
Junior Public Speaking is now called Original Oratory. Interpretation of Literature is now Humorous/Dramatic Interpretation.
Waivers for State qualification are now permitted on a Region-by-Region basis in the event that a Regional tournament is unable to be held owing to local conditions.
Each Regional tournament will have a run-off round to declare a Regional Champion and/or Runner-up in the case of a tie in a particular event.
The Kentucky snake is no more. The three sections of Semifinals in all speech events will be snaked ‘normally’, and then same-school hits will be resolved. Sections will now be balanced.
We’ve added a tiebreaker for Debate Sweepstakes.